Barn Preservation Society
to the Study and Preservation
of New World Dutch Barns
FALL 1996 Vol. 9, Issue 2
Two Barns of the Michael Frederick Farmstead, Guilderland,
In the Town of Guilderland, Albany County, New York, there are
two existing barns worthy of note. They lie within two hundred
yards of each other on the same farm near the base of a small mountain
known as the Helderberg (Helleberg). The farm has a creek running
through it once known as the Swarte Kill and now called the Black
Creek. The original settler of this farm was Michael Frederick,
a Palatine who is beleved to have arrived on this continent in
1738 with other Palatines, including several who settled in the
same area. Michael Frederick probably settled almost immediately
in the Helderberg region as there is a baptismal record of a son
from a local church on February 25, 1739.
A barn was one of the first structures built after settling in
and constructing a house. This would indicate that at least one
of the two barns could have been constructed during the 1740-45
period on this site. But which one? Both barns have features of
early Dutch Barns, making the answer difficult to determine.
View of Barn One (left rear), house (middle), and
Barn Two (right). Early house appears to be considerably modified.
All photos by author.
The barns are in good repair, although none of the original floors
remain and the sills are mostly gone, having been replaced by concrete
piers. These changes are probably due more to the changing farm
uses that they have encountered over their 200+ year life span
than to rot and decay. The barns are in use today for farming practices.
One barn is used for equipment storage and the other hay storage
and livestock shelter. Measuring the barns proved difficult at
times due to the lack of a good sill. To differentiate between
the two barns, they will be labeled Barn One and Barn Two. Barn
One is the one situated more northerly and is completely covered
by metal siding (see illustrations).
Barn One had original dimensions of 42 feet square. A single bay
addition extends the length by approximately 16 feet. It has galvanized
metal siding that gives a rather unsightly appearance. However,
the metal siding has been a great benefit as underneath is the
original wood siding. This metal appears to have preserved the
original siding very well and from inside the original martin holes
are clearly visible. The sway bracing is minimal (only on the end
bents) and the bases of the bracing enter the column below the
anchorbeam. This feature has been documented on other early Dutch
barns. There is a ladder built into the original frame adjacent
to a column. This is a common feature of early Dutch Barns in the
Barn One lacks an upper transverse beam over the anchorbeam at
the gable ends and instead uses a collar tie to support the upper
end of the gable wall studs. This has also been observed in early
barns. One explanation of the use of collar ties over an upper
transverse beam could be in the dimensions of some early barns.
The distance from the top of the anchorbeam to the top of the purlin
("verdiepingh" discussed in the last newsletter) seems
to be shorter on early Dutch barns (i.e., Van Bergen Barn, Teller-Schermerhorn
Barn, Wemple Barn, Bradt-Mabie Barn). In order to provide gable
end wall stud support approximately midway between the top of the
anchorbeam and the peak of the roof, a collar tie would be required.
A pent roof was at each end of the barn and the supports extended
into the inner anchorbeams. The wagon doors at one gable end retain
the original wood hinges and a threshing pole bracket is attached
to an inner anchorbeam. On the third bent, left side column is
carved "GW 1779" One thing puzzling about this barn leads
the author to believe that it has been moved. The original end
of the barn which now has an addition attached to it has no collar
tie. This would normally make sense because when the newer bay
was added, it no longer had a purpose (to support the gable end
studs) and thus would be intruding into the storage capacity of
the now bigger barn. The problem is that the rafters that would
have been notched or dovetailed to receive the collar ties are
not there either. These notched rafters have been relocated to
other rafter locations in the original part of the barn. This would
seem to indicate that the barn had major roof and rafter rework
done, possibly when the addition was built or the barn was moved.
Photos this page: Top, Exterior view of Barn One
looking northwest. Helderberg Escarpment is in the distance.
Middle, interior of Barn One from newer addition
loft showing collar tie and martin holes. Also note long sway
bracing and evidence of built in ladder on right.
Bottom, interior of Barn One showing bracket on
closest anchorbeam for a threshing pole. Also note the mortises
in the rear anchorbeam for pent roof at original gable end of
barn. The newer addition can be seen beyond.
Barn One is very similar to two other barns that were originally
within one mile of this site, the Ogsbury Barn which has been moved
to Phillipsburg Manor in Tarrytown, NY and the Zaremski Barn which
supposedly was moved to a location in the lower Hudson Valley.
All three barns had similarities including collar ties instead
of high transverse beams and sway bracing that extended below the
anchorbeam at the gable ends. This author believes that all three
of these barns date to before the American Revolution and may even
have the same builder.
Barn Two is situated approximately one hundred yards south of
Barn One and much closer (about 100 ft) to the original Frederick
Homestead. This barn faces the original home site and lies in a
northwest to southeast line. Rather unusual for the Guilderland
area is that the length of 35 feet is less than the width (42 feet).
An addition of about 16 feet is attached to the north gable end
of the original barn. The sway bracing, like that of Barn One,
enters the column below the anchorbeam at the gable ends. There
is inner sway bracing that is not as long and crosses the gable
end bracing. The sway braces are made of oak and are riven (split
out of a log with an "L" shaped tool called a froe) instead
of being hewed or sawn. Inquiries concerning riven brace construction
indicate that this was one of the earlier methods. The wagon door
at the south end is offset from the center of the threshing floor.
There was no evidence of a human door adjacent to the wagon door
and the reason for the offset is unknown. Unlike Barn One, Barn
Two has an upper transverse beam and no collar tie. Both this barn
and Barn One have relatively low side walls and a steep roof pitch
that is indicative of early construction. Another similarity is
that both barns have the same center and side aisle dimensions
(22 feet and 10 feet respectively). The overall width of 42 feet
for these two barns is also a very common size for other barns
in the Guilderland area. The author has documented at least five
other barns in Guilderland with the same width.
Photos this page: Top, view of Barn Two looking
south. Early house is just off of the photo to the right.
Middle, interior of Barn Two. Notice the sway
brace configuration. The braces cross in the end bays.
Bottom, interior of Barn Two showing second bent,
right side anchorbeam to column joint. Both barns have similarly
shaped anchorbeam tongues.
Barn One interior shows the second
bent on the right side, anchorbeam to column joint. Note the
roman numerals for joint identification.
Gable end wagon door of Barn One
with original wood hinges. Remnants of pent roof structural member
is shown just above wagon door extending through anchorbeam.
While both barns retain features of early barns, the question
remains as to which one was the original Frederick barn, if either?
The author cannot make that determination confidently at this time.
While Barn Two appears to be in the most likely location in respect
to the house, Barn One has features very similar to two other barns
located very close to this site. Barn One was very likely moved
but could it have been from a location closer to the house? Barn
One's similarity to other barns in the area suggests that if it
was not built originally on this farm, it was at least built in
the close vicinity. With further study of the barns and other structures
on the site the question of which barn was the original may some
day be answered.
FALL 1996 Vol. 9, Issue 2, part two
Dutch Barn Preservation Society
The Mabee Farm Historic Site
1080 Main St. (Rt. 5S)
Junction, NY 12150
Phone: (518) 887-5073
© 2007. Dutch Barn Preservation Society. All rights reserved.
All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to
use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or
downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced
for distribution, sale, or profit.